Mon, Nov 19, 2018 - 5:41 PM
Looking for ways to keep your teeth healthy? You might do well to be aware of the following risk factors that may seriously affect your teeth.
How smoking damages teeth
Smoking can stain your teeth yellow, cause bad breath, gum disease and oral cancer.
Alcohol and oral health
Alcohol can erode the outer surface of the teeth, leading to a loss of enamel. If this happens, you may need to go to the dentist for a filling. Drinking too much has also been linked to an increased risk of developing mouth cancer. The most important risk factors for mouth cancer are the combined effect of smoking and drinking alcohol.
Foods and drinks can stain your teeth
Wine, cigarette smoke, tea and coffee are all teeth-staining culprits. Keep them to a minimum to stop your teeth becoming stained. Your dentist may give you option of polishing and whitening.
* Can be caused by smelly gases that are released by bacteria that coat your teeth, gums and tongue.
* Bits of food stuck between your teeth
* Strong foods such as garlic, coffee and onions Medical conditions such as infections of nose, throat and diabetes
What to do?
* Visit the dentist
* Brush teeth, gums and tongue
* Use mouthwash
* Clean appliances such as dentures and braces
Note: This article is written by UK-trained dentist Dr Haleh Ghoddousi, who practices at Q&M dental clinics at Raffles Place, Orchard Centrepoint, Hougang Central, Yew Tee Point and Seletar Mall.
To book for appointment: qandm.com.sg/Q&M-Dental-Group-Singapore-Make-An-Appointment